How many times at school have you wondered about the way some students excel and get to the top? Even at college, some students make it seem so easy to be high achievers. So what’s the secret? Is it something you can learn? YES! It’s all about practice and dedication. You need to study hard and study smart. Today, we bring you some studying tips that will help you achieve better results in your education.
The essentials of studying
There are two important things when it comes to studying: the environment and the studying technique.
Study in a distraction-free environment
Before you start with anything, always make sure that you won’t be distracted while doing it. Whether it’s studying for an exam or just solving an assignment, try to stay focused the entire time. We talked before about some tips to avoid distractions, and the most important one in this case is keeping your phone away. It’s best to turn it off while you study, but it’s also okay if you just make it silent and keep it away from you. This helps you avoid the notifications and the urge to check social media every now and then.
Follow an effective technique
One of the best studying techniques can be summed up in three words: “understand, practice, review”. Here’s how this technique works:
- Understand the main points and keep repeating the chapter notes and the information in it as many times as needed. Once you feel comfortable with the knowledge, you can move to applying it.
- Solve as many problems as possible. It doesn’t matter how many questions the teacher assigns you, always try to solve more. The more you practice, the more mistakes you make. And every mistake is essential in retaining some tricky information or hidden detail. This means that when you go to the exam, you’re making sure that you made every possible mistake while practicing, so that you don’t make them during the exam. This is a point many people miss, but you should always keep it in mind: people don’t get high grades just because they’re smart or never make mistakes. It’s all about practice. They make so many mistakes while practicing but they always make sure to learn from them.
- Repeat and review. Not only on the same day, because that won’t be very useful if you still remember everything. Have a good night’s sleep then try to review the next day. By nature, our memory rarely remembers every single thing we read or study. The only way to make it stick is through repetition. If the next day you find yourself forgetting some of the things you’re studying you shouldn’t worry at all. It’s totally normal. Once you review it for a couple of days it’ll stick in your head for a very long time.
Some extra tips
We didn’t go in detail into “how” you should try to understand or memorize things because this is different for every single one of us. What works for you may not work for someone else, and vice-versa. This is something you should try to figure out on your own through experimentation. However, it doesn’t hurt to see how other people study. So here are some of the studying tips that can usually help:
- Try to always write your own notes even if your teachers give you slides and notes. When you reorganize the notes in a way that suits you, it will help you more when reviewing them later.
- When trying to memorize scientific rules and concepts, try to understand how they were created. Whenever you get lost or forget the information, you can try to reconstruct it. This is really helpful in physics and math, but it can work for other subjects too.
- If you’re having a hard time memorizing something, use the power of repetition. Read them every couple of hours and try to retain as much information as possible. With every new repetition, you’ll find yourself remembering much more information. You can even try to write them down a couple of times so that they stick with you better.
- Always try to stay organized. Keep an agenda and fill it daily with your to-do list, and a calendar where you put the general stuff and the deadlines. By having a general overview of the things you need to complete and a detailed to-do list prepared daily, you can properly manage your time to keep room for reviewing what you study.
We hope these studying tips can help you improve the way you learn. If you have some extra tips that work for you, share them in the comments so that others can benefit from them too!